Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Steve "Coach" Kocheran, my dad

My dad has always been my hero. Throughout my childhood and adult years, Dad remained our rock. He was our provider, mentor, educator (he taught history), coach (coached football, track & basketball), and shoulder for all the tears shed in the family. And, yes, I was the "princess" in a family of boys. I have 3 brothers.

Dad is still my rock. Distance does not keep us from talking several times a week. He and Mom are always there for me.

Dad always wanted to ride our horse RSK. RSK is a gentle quarter horse. His sire is Royal Silver King, a champion cutting horse during the 1980's. RSK has taken my grandchildren on rides. RSK also provided joy to an autistic child. So when Dad wanted to ride RSK in the round pen, I didn't think twice about it. RSK is now 18 years old but thinks he's still a youngster. When he's out on trail, his endurance is still great and you better be prepared for trotting and a fast walk.

No comments: